Journalist Thibau Lefevre just told radio station France Inter that a policeman talking in his walkie talkie said they were looking for suspects near Parmentier and République.
Both of these areas are between the sites of the two attacks in the city - the former to the west and the latter to the east. That whole part of the city is popular with people out on nights out.
Another witness, who was at the Batalclan with his mother, is currently in tears live on the radio station. He says he heard the assailants were screaming “Allahu Akbar” while shooting inside the crowd.
Reuters reports that US security officials believe the attacks were probably coordinated, based on initial reports. It cited an anonymous source familiar with developing intelligence assessments. “This clearly looks like a coordinated series of attacks,” the person said.
Updated
There is some video of fans at the Stade de France on the pitch.
The tweet reads: “helicopter, pitch invaded, surreal scenes.”
Hélicoptère, pelouse envahie, scènes surréalistes. pic.twitter.com/PT5HXyKbDK
— Vincent Menichini (@v_menichini) November 13, 2015
Death toll rises
The death is rising, although reports differ.
Citing French police, AFP reports that three people were also killed in an explosion outside the Stade de France.
The Guardian has been unable to verify any of these accounts independently.
Updated
This image, tweeted on Friday evening, purports to show bodies near the Bataclan, where Eagles of Death Metal were playing.
“Bedsheets were thrown from the windows to cover them,” the tweet reads.
Des corps étendus au 10 rue Charonne. Des draps sont jetés par les fenêtres pr couvrir les corps #fusillade #Paris pic.twitter.com/0GeQ1SNfij
— Sylvain BOHRER (@sylvainbohrer) November 13, 2015
Updated
PM: I am shocked by events in Paris tonight. Our thoughts and prayers are with the French people. We will do whatever we can to help.
— UK Prime Minister (@Number10gov) November 13, 2015
Purportedly, an explosion near the France-Germany football match is audible on this footage of the game.
French police: At least 26 people are dead in a spree of violence around Paris. There is also a hostage taking under way in a theatre.
Updated
Updated
Witness Ben Grant said he was in a bar with his wife when the gunshots were fired and he saw six or seven bodies on the ground. He told the BBC: “I was told people in cars had opened fire on the bar.
“There are lots of dead people. It’s pretty horrific to be honest. I was at the back of the bar. I couldn’t see anything. I heard gunshots. People dropped to the ground. We put a table over our heads to protect us.
Updated
#BREAKING Hostages taken at Paris Bataclan concert hall, police say
— Agence France-Presse (@AFP) November 13, 2015
My colleague Angelique Chrisafis reports from the French capital:
Paris has been hit by a series of explosions and shootings tonight, killing at least 18 people.
Police officials confirmed that there had been a shootout at a Paris restaurant in the 10th arrondissement amid busy Friday night bars and cafés. Then another shootout took place near the Bataclan concert venue in the nearby 11th arrondissment. Hostages have been taken at the Bataclan, police confirmed to AFP.
At around the same time, there was a series of explosions outside the Stade de France, north of Paris, during a France-Germany friendly football match. The French president François Hollande was at the match and was evacuated from the stadium to the French interior ministry for a crisis meeting.
A police official confirmed to Associated Press that there had been one explosion in a bar near the stadium.
Updated
The French paper Libération reports that several people were killed in one shooting in the 10th arrondissement of Paris, an area to the north of the city. Its reporter on the scene says that there were at least two shooters, who may have opened fire in a bar, before fleeing.
The 10th includes the city’s main train stations: the Gare du Nord and the Gare de l’Est. The paper reports that the shootings there took place to the east of those stations, on the opposite side of the Canal Saint Martin, near Rue Bichat.
Libération adds that, almost simultaneously, three explosions were heard near Stade de France and the French president François Hollande has left.
It is not yet known if the incidents are linked.
Updated
The Associated Press reports that a shootout has taken place in a restaurant in Paris with fatalities reported.
First pictures of the #Paris shootout. Reports gun fire is still being heard. + Explosion heard at Stade de #France pic.twitter.com/llhXIDZ8KB
— Redmor 11 (@redmor11) November 13, 2015
Updated
Published via the Guardian News Feed plugin for WordPress.
0 comments:
Post a Comment